Medical Tests Every Man Should Perform to Protect their Health
Are you among those who do not undergo health screeningson a regular basis? Have you never checked your cholesterol level? If yes, then you are not alone as more than 26 percent of men do not follow a routine source of healthcare. Go through this blog post to know how you can change this by performing medical tests and screenings to stay protected.
- Check properly to begin – If you have excessive weight, then this will increase the chance of getting diabetes and heart disease. The BMI or body mass index calculates your body fat depending on your weight and height. This will enable you to understand if you are over-weight or at a greater risk for developing obesity. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Trusted Source(CDC), an adult who has BMI between 18.5 and 25 falls within the normal range.
- Determine your health condition – The American Heart Associationor AHA suggests that all adults who are above 35 years old should get their cholesterol checked every 5 years. Health screenings need to begin from the age of 20 if you have certain risk factors such as:
- BMI over 30
- Family record of stroke
- Relatives who have had heart attacks
Your doctor at the well man check up clinic will take a small sample of blood from your arm to measure the level of cholesterol. The results will help to indicate your levels of:
- HDL or good cholesterol
- LDL or bad cholesterol
The results of cholesterol tests are usually shown in milligrams for each deciliter of blood (mg/dL). According to the reports, the healthy goal of cholesterol should not be more than 200 mg/dL.
- Consider your lipid profile – Higher triglycerides are related to metabolic syndrome that increases your risk for diabetes, stroke and heart disease.The same blood drawn used for measuring your cholesterol provides a reading of your triglycerides which is a kind of fat. An optimal triglyceride level is not more than 100 mg/dL, though the levels below 150 mg/dL are considered normal.
- Keep tabs on the blood pressure – If you have high blood pressure, then proper medication is needed to control it and prevent kidney disease, stroke and heart disease. If you have normal blood pressure, then get it checked every two years. The normal level of pressure is less than 120/80 mm. But if you have high pressure, then your doctor will probably want to check it more often. Proper diagnosis of high blood pressure requires two readings that should be taken four hours apart.If the blood pressure measurement is more than 120/80 mm Hg, then this should be confirmed with a follow-up measurement.
- Diabetes – If your blood pressure is higher than 135/80 mm Hg, then this might be a symptom of diabetes. The testing for diabetes will include performing a hemoglobin A1C blood test, an oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) or a fasting plasma glucose (FPG) test. But, a single test is not sufficient to diagnose you fordiabetes. You must perform a second test to confirm your blood glucose level is unusually high.
- Colorectal cancer screening – According to the American Cancer Society, colon cancer is considered to be the second leading cause of death from cancer in both men and women. If you have already celebrated your 50th birthday and did not get screened for colorectal cancer, then it is already time to get screened in case colorectal cancer is there in your family history.
You need not worry as a colonoscopy requires 15 to 20 minutes only and involves minimal pain. This test can help to detect colon cancer at an early stage when it can be treated easily. Your doctor can find as well as remove precancerous growths before they turn malignant.
- Do not blow a gasket – Abdominal aortic aneurysmor AAAusually occurs due to an enlarged blood vessel in the stomach that bursts suddenly. AAAs usually does not have anysymptoms and they are critical in almost 90 percent cases.
The positive news is that an ultrasound maynotice an AAA before it ruptures. It is suggested that men who are within the age group of 65 to 75 years and who have smoked more than 100 cigarettes get health screening done from time to time.
- Forget the stiff upper lip – Though depressiontakes place more often in women than men,yet men are still highly susceptible to it. If you find loss of interest in things you enjoy or feel hopeless, then theseare certain signals of depression. Make sure you do not feel extremely low for a long time. Your doctor at the well man check clinic may perform health screening for depression and determine how to get treated. Medication, therapy or the combination of these two can be of great help.
- Protect your hide – The cases for melanoma have increased to a great extent than any other type of cancer. At present, Melanoma is the fifthmost common cancer among men and more number of women suffers from itbefore they turn 50 though the ratio reverses by 65. Men can get melanoma twice just like women. However, men can account for three times more cases of melanoma than women by the age of 80.
It is advised to check your skin every month for moles that appear abnormal or have changed. Melanoma can be used for the following:
- A, asymmetry: If the mole has been cut in half vertically, then the two halves won’t be the same.
- B, border: The edges of the mole are uneven.
- C, color: There are some changes in the color of a mole or its surrounding parts.
- D, diameter: The diameter of the mole is much more than 5mm.
- E, everything: The mole starts to bleed, change or itch in any way.
It is suggested to look for the sores that won’t recover completely. You may ask the doctor to check your skin carefully, as a part of your physical examination. Melanoma can be treated completely when it gets detected at an early stage.
- Some other tests for men – The risks for the prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood testwill outweigh its benefits. False positive results can cause many unnecessary biopsies and so, you should talk to your doctor about the risks associated with prostate cancer and if a digital rectal exam or DREis an important part of your physical examination.
Youneed to discuss this with your doctor whether testing for sexually transmitted infections or STIswill be appropriate for you. Thus, visit a well man check in London to know if you have been sexually infected in anyway and stay protected.