7 Medical Tests for Every Man to Improve their Health Condition
It is not uncommon for guys to not visit the doctor even if something is evidently wrong. It is necessary to stay positive about your health at all times and do your regular check-ups by performing full body checkup and going for the recommended screenings to detect serious conditions and diseases on time. This may mean spending less time at the doctor’s clinic for further treatment if you detect a health problem early on.
Depending on your age, family record and changes in lifestyle, you may have to undergo different tests to stay on top of your health. In this blog, we will discuss 7 medical tests that every man should undergo on regular basis.
- Diabetes – If you maintain proper weight and do not have any risk factors for the disease such as high blood pressure or cholesterol, then you may never need to go for a health screening test. Most men who are above 45 and are overweight may need to undergo an AIC test or a fasting plasma glucose test.
Both AIC and fasting plasma glucose are blood tests that should be done in your doctor's clinic. The AIC test does not require fasting but if your doctor wants to do the test using fasting plasma glucose, then you will be asked not to eat or drink anything other than water for eight hours.
- Sexually transmitted infections – If you have been in a monogamous relationship for years, then it is necessary to get tested if you have not done so. Some common sexually transmitted infections may remain undiagnosed for several years without showing any symptoms of HIV.
It is suggested that everyone in the age group of 15 to 65 years needs to get screened for HIV at least once a year. This is important if you enjoyed unprotected sex, had a blood transfusion or used injected drugs.
- Body mass index – You do not need to schedule an appointment to know your body mass index as this is the measurement of your body fat based on your weight and height. Make sure you are aware about this particular number whether you calculate it yourself or your physician does the math for you.
The body mass index between 18.5 and 24.9 is actually considered to be your normal weight. Though this is not the perfect calculationand may label healthy people to be overweight, most doctors have said that this is an important part of evaluating your overall health.
- Cholesterol – Men should test theircholesterollevels every four to six years after they turn 20. This is mainly due to the fact that men have higher risk for cardiovascular disease when compared to women. High cholesterol has a big impact on your heart when it comes to heart diseases. Your doctor may ask you to go for health screeningat first if you have certain risk factors such as diabetes, high blood pressure or regularly consume tobacco products. Those are all potential causes for a heart disease.
The level of cholesterol can be measured by undergoing a blood test and your doctor may ask you not to eat for at least 9 to 12 hours beforehand. The cholesterol test measures the total cholesterol level, HDL (good) cholesterol, LDL (bad) cholesterol, and triglycerides. By considering your test results, your doctor will suggest dietary recommendations or prescribe a medication for lowering the cholesterol. Also, Health Assessments can help to check the overall condition of your health.
- Blood pressure – Just like high cholesterol, high blood pressure is another condition that should be checked every time you see your doctor. It involves putting a rubber cuff that squeezes your arm and measures the blood flow through a large artery in the bicep.
You can even check your pressure in pharmacies, at health clinics or at home by using a monitoring device. If the systolic pressure cracks 130 or diastolic goes over 85, then your doctor might recommend changes in your lifestyle such as eating less salt, exercising more or prescribe certain medication.
- Colonoscopy – Men usually need to get screened for colon canceronce they are 50. Those who have a family record of this disease can benefit hugely by starting their tests earlier. Both men and women seem to pass this test where a small camera isinserted into the anus which is used todiscover large intestine for signs of cancer or polyps.
You have to empty your bowels completely before undergoing the examination which involves not eating solid foods for at least one to three days or drinking lots of liquids. Colonoscopy should not be very uncomfortable as you have been sedated through the whole thing. In case your doctor does not find anything suspicious, then you will not need to perform another colonoscopy for the next 10 years.
- Prostate exam – Prostate cancer screening may be unnecessary and expensive and they can do more harm than good. All men who are above 50 years may talk to their doctors about the pros and cons associated with the test. Prostate cancer can save lives though they may lead to false-negative or false-positive results. As manytypes of prostate cancer progresses slowly, some men do not benefit from this form of treatment.
Whether you want to get screened for prostate cancer, make sure you speak with your doctor before making the decision. For the time being, you should know about its symptoms such as having trouble urinating or urinating frequently that might show symptoms for cancer.
You may Visit Health Screening Clinic where our specialists offer full medical check up to patients that desire to have an improved overall health.This way, your body may be screened properly on a daily basis and any kind of disease can be detected early.
Questions To Ask During Your Health Mot20 Dec 2019
All About Urinary Tract Infection11 Dec 2019