10 Health Concerns for Men to Avoid and Remain Protected
Are you amongst those individuals who are madly in love with their favorite cars and gadgets? If yes, then you must not be much concerned about your body and overall health condition. Well, some lack of awareness, improper education on health and personal lifestyles might cause a steady deterioration for health risks. You should visit your nearest well man clinic or health care provider to know how to reduce the risk of common conditions such as depression, heart disease, respiratory diseases and cancer. Go through this blogpost to know about some health risks for men.
- Heart health – Heart disease may occur in different forms and can cause serious, fatal complications, if not treated on time. According to the American Heart Association, more than one in three adult men suffer from some kind of cardiovascular disease. So, stroke targets more than 3 million men and high blood pressure is quite common in males below 45 years of age. Routine check-ups can ensure that your heart is healthy.Your doctor will calculate the risk for cardiovascular disease depending on variousfactors such as – cholesterol, blood pressure and smoking habits.
- COPD and other respiratory diseases – Many respiratory diseases begin due to “smoker’s cough” that can cause life-threatening conditions such as emphysema, COPD or lung cancer. These conditions might interfere with your chances to breathe properly. If you have been smoking for more than 30 years, a low-dose CT scan maybe wiseenough to screen for lung cancer.
- Alcohol– Men havehigher rates of alcohol-related deaths and hospitalisationsin comparison to women as they drink twice as much than the opposite sex. Hence, they are prone to sexual assault and increased aggression against women. The intake of alcohol increases the chances of cancer in your throat, mouth, liver, colon and esophagus. It also interferes with the hormone production and testicular function leading to infertility and impotence.
- Depression and suicide – According to the research, nearly 6 million men suffer from the problem of depressive disorders that makes themsuicidal, at times. You can fight depression by the following ways:
- Doing regular exercise and going for walksin the neighborhood.
- Writing down your own thoughts.
- Communicating with your family and friends.
- Seeking help of a professional.
- Unintended accidents and injuries – Unintentional injury is the major cause of death for men and this includes – traumatic brain injuries, drowning and firework mishaps. The death rate for male drivers and passengers are almost twice than that of females. Hence, safety should be your only concern to avoid unintentional accidents and injuries.
- Liver disease – Your liver helps digest food and absorb nutrients to eliminate the body from toxic substances. Liver disease includes certain conditions such as:
- genetic or autoimmune liver diseases
- bile duct cancer
- viral hepatitis
- alcoholic liver disease
- liver cancer
Besides that, the use of tobacco and alcohol increases your chance of developing liver disease.
- Diabetes – This can cause heart disease, stroke, kidney and nerve damage as well as vision problems, if not treated on time. Men who have diabetes face the risk of lower testosterone levels and sexual impotence which can cause anxiety or increased depression. You can control diabetes by eating healthy and exercising properly. If you have a family history of diabetes, you must visit your doctor to have periodic screenings for diabetes.
- Pneumonia and influenza – Influenza and pneumococcal infectionare the leading health concerns for men. Men who have compromised immune systems due to diabetes, sickle cell anemia, COPD, congestive heart failure, AIDS or cancer are highly susceptible to these illnesses.Men are nearly 25 percent more likely to die from these diseases than women. In order to prevent against pneumonia and influenza, it is necessary to take the proper vaccination.
- Skin cancer – You can stay protected from skin cancer by wearing full sleeves and pants, hats that have wide brims, sunscreen and sunglasses when going to the outdoors. This can help reduce the risk of skin cancer by avoiding direct exposure to UV light sources such as sunlamps or tanning beds.
- AIDS and HIV – Men who have already been infected with HIV might not realisethat they have it as the initial symptoms may mimic that of flu or a cold. As per the research, men who have sex with another men account for the new and existing HIV infections.
These are the top 10 health risks that can affect men to a great extent. Your next step should be to change your habits and become proactive about your overall health. Thus, addressing your health concerns might be terrifying, however,avoiding it is undoubtedly a serious concern that must be dealt with very carefully. You need to visit your health care professional at the health screening clinic in the UK and know how you can stay protected.